About the Buy Local Campaign
One of the ways to diversify the Timmins economy is to buy local. Buying local entails purchasing goods and services from businesses and companies that employ local people and use local products.
Buying local will ensure that money spent in the community stays in the community and is used to do things like:
- Create more jobs.
- Expand services.
- Promote diversity in our local business sector.
The lead in this project is the Timmins Chamber of Commerce. They have established a Buy Local Task Force.
The task force is made up of local people from various sectors and includes:
- Members from non-profit organizations.
- City councilors.
- City officials.
- The Mayor.
- Local business people.
The task force is investigating regional partnerships and funding possibilities for marketing and education efforts. The message behind this campaign is about the benefits of supporting local firms and their role within the economy.
The Buy Local campaign is an on-going project. The Buy Local Committee is currently in the process of putting together an application for funding from the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation (NOHFC). Part of that funding will be used to make a promotional video about the importance of buying local. The video will be in English, French and Oji-Cree.
What You Can Do
- Support local businesses and buy their products.
- Visit local farmers to buy your food.
- Share the importance of buying local with your friends and family.
- Promote local businesses on your Facebook page.
- Get involved and become a buy local advocate!
Visit the Timmins Chamber of Commerce website to get more info. http://www.timminschamber.on.ca/