The Cochrane District Social Planning Council is set to host its first Annual membership meeting on September 30th from 1:00-4:00 pm at the McIntyre Community Centre Ball Room. It would like to invite community organizations and individuals to become participating members of the Council.
Dr. Carol Kauppi and Dr. Henri Pallard from Laurentian University will be presenting findings from their recent study “Poverty, Homelessness and Migration” at the meeting.
The Council was initially funded by a grant from the Ontario Trillium Foundation and is currently supported by various community partners. Community partners include:
- The Venture Centre.
- Cochrane District Social Services Administration Board.
- Far North East Training Board.
- Porcupine Health Unit.
- Timmins Economic Development Corporation.
- Kidd Operations: A Glencore Company.
The Council has been busy gearing up for its first meeting. To date they have:
- Secured additional funding from the Northern Ontario Heritage Fund Corporation.
- Elected a Board of Directors.
- Hired staff.
- Created a three-year Strategic Plan.
- Created a new webpage.
- Created a membership and media campaign.
- Taken on a number of community projects such as The Film Society Project and Social Services Inventory.
The Council will be working on many exciting initiatives in the upcoming months. Stay tuned for more news or visit their website http://www.cdspc.org/