About the Regional Hub
Timmins is a regional center and attracts visitors from Iroquois Falls, Kirkland Lake, Hearst, and Moosonee. We have a diverse range of service offerings from health care, education, shopping, entertainment and transportation. Part of the Timmins 2020 Strategic Plan is to increase regional traffic to Timmins in order to make it a regional service hub.
The project lead, Timmins Economic Development Corporation (TEDC), is leading a committee that includes:
- Rio Can Timmins Square.
- Timmins and District Hospital.
- Timmins Chamber of Commerce.
- Collège Boréal.
- Northern College.
- Le Centre Culturel LaRonde.
- Holiday Inn.
- Downtown BIA.
- Ministry of Northern Development and Mines.
The Committee is conducting surveys with other communities to get information on what draws people from other communities to Timmins.
This project is ongoing and will continue to grow and change as it moves toward the future. Here is how the project has progressed in the last few months.
The TEDC is researching niche markets in order to develop a new show or event to market Timmins as a regional hub. They are researching things like bringing in a food and drink show or creating a unique food event like a food festival.
They are also discussing the possibility of partnering organizations together to help event promotion in order to draw more regional traffic to Timmins events.
Committee members collected data from visitors to Timmins. Some of the data include:
- “What Brings you to Timmins Today” by Rio Can Timmins Square.
- Enrollment statistics from Northern College.
- User demographics from Timmins and District Hospital.
- User satisfaction surveys from The Great Canadian Kayak Challenge and the Concert in the Park Series.
The committee discussed potential marketing campaigns that could bolster regional traffic to Timmins. The committee identified inventory gaps that need to be filled before a comprehensive campaign could be created. They continue to research in order to fill the knowledge gaps.
What You Can Do
- Get involved by answering survey questions.
- Attend events like The Great Canadian Kayak Challenge.
- Like our Facebook page.
- Tell your friends and family about the great things Timmins has to offer!