Timmins is Becoming an Age Friendly Community
Creating an age friendly community is an initiative that was identified as important in the Timmins 2020 Strategic Plan. The Venture Centre has taken the lead on this project and they are waiting on funding from a program called New Horizons. This program is funded by Employment and Social Development Canada. Projects funded under this program must address one of the following goals:
- Promote volunteering among seniors.
- Engage seniors in the community through mentoring others.
- Expand awareness of elder abuse.
- Support the social participation and inclusion of seniors in the community.
- Provide capital assistance for new and existing community projects/programs for seniors.
Once funding is secured the first step will be to create an advisory committee to develop a Timmins Seniors Strategic Plan. The Venture Centre is also seeking funding opportunities for potential projects that will be discussed in the Strategic Plan.
Information about the funding is expected to be released in January 2015.