The City of Timmins and the Timmins 2020 Steering Committee will be hosting a lunch and awards ceremony for over 30 community partners on May 1, 2014. The Strategic Plan, which was developed in 2011 and will see the city through to 2020, has 30 projects. Many of the projects are long term and will take years to complete, and some are relatively short term. Fortunately, we have a lot of community-minded and big-hearted organizations in the private and public sector that have taken on some of these projects. For example:
- the Timmins Chamber of Commerce has led the way in developing a Community Calendar.
- the TEDC has helped employers fill the need for skilled people, and has created an economic diversification plan based on Timmins’ competitive advantage.
- Caisse Populaire, Kidd Operations, Goldcorp, the YMCA, DCSSAB and Attawapiskat Resources Inc. contributed funds for a Housing Strategy to address affordable housing issues in Timmins
- Porter Airlines has contributed several flights to anywhere they fly as prizes for community engagement
- the YMCA is leading the Youth Engagement project to encourage more young people to get involved in their community.
- Many more examples!!
There are 30 more organizations being recognized at the May 1 ceremony. We’ll be posting a list of all of them the day of the lunch. In the meantime, there are lots of ways you can get involved in making your city a better place to be. If you’re interested, please get in touch with Mike Kentish at email@example.com